Pages

Friday 8 June 2012

Book Worms Unite!

 Ok so this isn't a beauty video, but I really enjoy a good book and saw this on a blog I've recently started reading and thought I'd give it a whirl. Let me know if you like reading and some of your recommendations as I need to line up a few books for over the summer and if you like reading about something a bit different on a beauty blog as I'm not feeling too inspired by beauty at the moment!




1. Favorite childhood book?
Jinny of Finmory trilogy- I loved horses and wanted this to be my life!
2. What are you reading right now?
The Great Gatsby- I can't believe I've only just got round to reading it.
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
I don't use a library.
4. Bad book habit?
Starting and not finishing.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Nothing
6. Do you have an e-reader?
I got a Kindle last year for my birthday and haven't looked back since!
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I only ever read one at a time- I think you should be drawn into a book and can't really do that concentrating on more than one story.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
No because I'm new at it and this is the first book related blog I've written.
9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far?)
Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8000 Miles Around Britain in a Vauxhall Astra- Everything seemed so promising but then nothing happened apart from they travelled and got into a couple of predictable scrapes.
10. Favourite book you’ve read this year?
The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy- I literally couldn't put it my kindle down!
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
I make a concentrated effort to do this, but I hardly ever follow through with it. I love fiction books so reading outside my comfort zone would be books on presenting skills and popular science but there isn't anything there to keep bringing me back so I end up reading a few chapters and then forgetting about it (terrible I know)
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Young adult (shame faced as I am not a young adult) the classics and a nice bit of chick-lit. I do want to start reading more crime and thriller but haven't got there yet.
13. Can you read on the bus?
Not really- all my bus journey's are short and I don't like advertising the fact that I might be carrying a £100 in the form of a kindle.
14. Favorite place to read?
In my bed.
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I find it hard- not because I care if they get a bit beaten up but because I usually forget to ask for them back.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
I can't help it- I don't use bookmarks, I just fold the corners instead.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
I've only ever done this with text books but I kind of like the idea but I'm unsure what I'd write? Surely then I'd just end up analysing the book as I would for an essay?
18. Not even with text books?
...See above :)
19. What is your favourite language to read in?
English. I'm not a show-off.
20. What makes you love a book?
A romance that I can relate to and a nice bit of history in it. I loved Coffee, Tea, The Gypsy and Me because it's something I would have dreamt about happening to me when I was a bit younger.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If I really love it- unfortunately I don't have many friends that are readers. If I find a good one I usually buy it as a present for someone.
22. Favorite genre?
This is pretty much the same as my comfort zone books.
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
History.
24. Favorite biography?
I think the only biography I have ever read is Jordan's (British glamour model)
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
I've tried some more general ones but I find most of the advice is what you already know but just don't put into action.
26. Favorite cookbook?
Rachel Allen 'Bake'
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
I don't think any have been especially inspirational- I could count the Atkins book and then doing the diet for about a month? No?
28. Favorite reading snack?
I don't really eat and read- past experiences have ended with chocolate covered books (there's your answer)!
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
I delayed reading Twilight because I thought that it was a book for little girls who dreamt of falling in love, then I realised that even with a boyfriend you can still dream about the fantasy version of love that doesn't involve washing socks and cleaning bathrooms!
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don't read critic reviews.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I don't feel remorse in giving a bad reviews- I'm pretty strong minded
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
I don't really see a point in that other than if I was visiting that country and in that case I couldn't choose between French, Spanish, Italian and Russian.
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read? 
The Mitfords, Letters between sisters and The Queen, The Queen Mother both purely because of size!
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Ulysses- I've tried to read this but unfortunately couldn't follow it. I think I'll come back to it one day in the right frame of mind!
35. Favorite Poet?
I've not read a lot of poetry but have enjoyed some nice Victorian romance poems and I love the lady of Shallot for it's rhythm.
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
None.
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Never
38. Favorite fictional character? 
Jane Eyre- stereotypical I know.
39. Favorite fictional villain?
 Mrs Coulter
40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?
Chick-lit for beach reading.
41. The longest you’ve gone without reading.
I think probably a couple of months- I lost my mojo for a bit.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Other than what I've already mentioned I'm not sure as I've discarded them to the never again pile in the charity shop.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
My phone ringing- I should turn it off. Even if I don't answer I have to get up and look who it was.
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Lord of the Rings, Atonement, The Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice was soo much better than I thought it was going to be. I think My Little Princess was adapted from a book and that whole film enchants me. I also love the Secret Garden adaptation with Maggie Smith as Mrs Medlock.
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
I find most of the Harry Potter adaptations disappointing due to bad acting on behalf of Harry and Hermione.
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
About £30 I think. Which in England will get you approximately 3 books.
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never- I can't run the risk of spoiling it.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
If I get bored
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Not really- I have a bookshelf that has no organisation to it. I do however have some very sophisticated categories on my Kindle of Books I would read again and Books I wouldn't.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
Keep- I'm greedy.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
I don't think so- only the Hunger Games so that I'm not following the trend!
52. Name a book that made you angry.
I'm not sure there are any.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Twilight I can't ever thank my old work friend enough for lending it to me!
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Again, I'm not sure but it would probably be a classic- I'm not really enjoying The Great Gatsby yet :(
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Jane Eyre!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment...